Electric Power Consumption by Office Tenants (December 2015) The average of 2015 was 37.1 kWh/tsubo; the record low.
Xymax Real Estate Institute has been studying the volume of electricity consumed by office tenants in Japan on a continuous basis. The quarterly reports have been released since June 2013. The latest report, which covers the results for the period ending December 2015, is available now.
Findings from Research
The areas where electricity is supplied by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO)
• The consumption in the autumn of 2015 (average of October to December) was 33.8 kWh/tsubo;
a YoY decrease of 1.2 kWh/tsubo or 3.4% from 35.0 kWh/tsubo in the autumn of 2014.
• The consumption in 2015 (annual average) was 37.1 kWh/tsubo;
similar to the autumn average, a YoY decrease of 1.3 kWh/tsubo or 3.4% from 38.4 kWh/tsubo in 2014.
Electric power per tsubo (3.3 sqm) consumed by a tenant in office buildings in a month.
January 2010 – December 2015 (data was collected every month))
Of office tenants of office buildings managed by Xymax Group, we obtained valid data from approx. 3,000 tenants in approx. 300 buildings.
How to Calculate
1) Collect the monthly electric power consumption (kWh) of each tenant.
2) Adjust the preceding data to a five-day business week excluding Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays.
3) Calculate the electric power consumption per tsubo (kWh/tsubo) by dividing the preceding data by the rentable area (tsubo).
4) Calculate the average amount for each electric power company.
・Non-office tenants such as retail, warehouse and computer room tenants are excluded.
・Electricity consumed for the area other than the tenant's exclusive area, such as the common area lights and elevators, are excluded.
・Energy consumed for centrally-controlled air conditioners and gas heat pumps, where tenant-by-tenant calculation is impossible, is excluded.
・The month of the data is the month of the meter reading, which is generally the 20th day of each month.
・Extraordinary amounts （too high, too low） are identified as outlier and excluded.
・The number of tenants varies month by month as tenants move in and out.
For the previous research, please refer to the report Electric Power Consumption by Office Tenants (September 2015) released on December 9, 2015.